Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Get back in the bus...

I got the call from Glen yesterday and after nearly 3 months in the shop the blue boy should be good to go by this weekend. Everything went according to plan and fairly smooth. Only thing we hadn't planned on was replacing the starter and it got knocked around a bit due to the old tranny or possibly when the bus was converted to 12v. In any case I can't wait to finally start driving her around.

Checked into some cosmetic stuff a bit but I'm going to hold off for now as there are only a few paint blemishes. I'll probably just design the exterior logo / decoration we're planning to cover those spots for now.

Next step tunage... I checked with Joe and the alternator is a 55 volt Bosh which from what I read on Samba should drive up to a 350 watt amp. I think I'm going to try to go for a hidden system and also install an 12 volt "accessory" adapter for my Garmin GPS / inverter to charge the laptop and iPod.

The plan is to leave the stock head and mount a fairly inexpensive head unit under the postal tray with am/fm/xm/cd and aux input for the iPod. Figuring out some way to mount and dress the iPod, XM Antenna and GPS up nice. I'll either split the stock antenna input to the second head or maybe the xm antenna will pull double duty I'm not sure. The safari's do leak so water will be a minor issue to keep in mind.

The amp and capacitor, if necessary, direct attach to the battery so I'm thinking about a small box under the back seats for the sub and amp, and hang a pair of mids and highs under the front seats. That way none of the door panels have to get cut.

No comments: